Letters & Thoo is a specialist IP practice based in Hong Kong with internationally recognised expertise in the procurement, management and protection of patent, trademark and industrial design rights on behalf of both domestic and international clients.
The firm’s patent attorneys have established a proud track record of excellence in the IP field, having been consistently recognised in peer review industry benchmark publications, including the IAM Patent 1000 from 2012 to 2018.
Over the years, clients have come to know us not only for the uncompromising quality of our professional services, but also for our commitment to providing accessible and responsive client care at all times. Letters & Thoo constantly strives to maintain these high standards by providing client-focused IP services to clients of all sizes and from all sectors.
Letters & Thoo assists clients in all aspects of substantive patent prosecution and practice, including patent filing services in Hong Kong, China and internationally, patent drafting, patent validity and infringement analysis, freedom-to-operate opinions and exploitation of patent rights, as well as the management of patent portfolios.
Letters & Thoo’s attorneys handle a diverse range of technologies, including mechanical/electro-mechanical devices and systems, materials sciences, manufacturing technologies, analogue/digital electronics, consumer electronics and consumer products, telecommunications and data processing systems, computer hardware/software, e-commerce business systems and pharmaceutical and chemistry-based technologies.
Today, international companies face uncertainty in assessing their freedom to operate in relation to commercial activities in Hong Kong, China and Southeast Asia. The firm has extensive experience advising clients on such multi-jurisdictional patent clearance matters, including those pertaining to commercial use of non-traditional pharmaceutical and agrochemical technologies.
Trademark and industrial design services
Letters & Thoo provides trademark and industrial design rights services covering both Hong Kong and China, including:
- preparation, filing and prosecution of trademark applications;
- advice on registration and use requirements for trademarks;
- trademark opposition proceedings;
- cancellation actions against bad-faith trademark registrations in China and Hong Kong;
- trademark availability searches;
- trade fair enforcement actions; and
- commercial transactions involving trademark rights.
The firm acts for a diverse range of clients in relation to trademark and design matters, including leading luxury goods designers and manufacturing companies covering jewellery, footwear, garments, aspects of product packaging, toys, industrial components, foodstuffs, beverages and household consumer products, as well as computer-related devices, telecommunications devices, graphics and interfaces.
Specialist IP services
Letters & Thoo also provides a range of specialist IP services for clients, including:
- pharmaceutical freedom-to-operate patent clearance in Hong Kong and compliance with government and domestic supply requirements;
- advising on tendering and government procurement in compliance with World Trade Organisation requirements relating to IP and government procurement agreements;
- trade fair IP rights administrative actions in Hong Kong – with particular expertise in the strategic enforcement of standard-essential patent rights, trademark infringement and anti-counterfeiting actions;
- commercial cross-border patent filing and prosecution strategies for international corporations with manufacturing operations in China and Hong Kong;
- bad-faith trademark cancellations and recovery of hijacked IP rights by shadow companies; and
- commercial transactions involving the assignment and licensing of patent rights and underlying technologies.
The firm’s patent attorneys are technically qualified in diverse science and engineering disciplines and have specialist postgraduate qualifications in IP law and practice and many years’ professional experience securing and enforcing IP rights for a wide range of technologies, trademarks and industrial designs in Hong Kong, China and internationally.
Letters & Thoo’s patent attorneys proudly serve on the council of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association Hong Kong Group and on the group’s Patents and Designs Standing Committees; are members of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys, the International Trademark Association and the Hong Kong Institute of Trademark Practitioners; and are recognised as fellows of the Institute of Patent and Trademark Attorneys of Australia.
Prosperity Millennia Plaza
663 King’s Road Quarry Bay
Timothy Letters, Partner
Recommended individuals at this firm
Other recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email