Archana Shanker, senior partner at Anand and Anand, heads the firm’s patent and design practice. She has more than 25 years’ experience in patent strategy, prosecution, opposition and litigation across all technical domains. She is an active member of various international bodies, including the Asian Patent Attorneys Association, the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and the Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI). She has been elected vice president of FICPI India and is the vice president, North India for the Licensing Executives Society. She regularly advises the Indian government on IP matters.
Ms Shanker represents clients in contentious matters across all industries – including pharmaceuticals, life sciences, software, mechanics, electronics and biodiversity – and advises on protection and prosecution in jurisdictions ranging from India to the United States, Europe and Japan.
Her unique and innovative approach has helped her clients to win important claims of significant commercial value. She handles complex patent litigation before judicial and quasi-judicial forums in India and advises clients on patent strategies and regulatory affairs.
Ms Shanker is a regular speaker and panellist at national and international forums. She also contributes to various publications, including Managing Intellectual Property, World Intellectual Property Review, Asia IP Magazine, IAM and Getting the Deal Through, and serves on the editorial panel of Life Sciences IP Review.
- Top 250 Women IP Professionals, 2016 and 2017 (Managing Intellectual Property)
- IP Star (patents), 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Managing Intellectual Property)
- Spotlight for Life Sciences, India, 2017 (Chambers and Partners – Asia Pacific)
- Women in Business Law (patents), 2016 and 2017 (Expert Guides)
- Recognised for patents, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Who’s Who Legal)
- Recognised for life sciences, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Who’s Who Legal)
- Recommended Individual (prosecution), 2015, 2016 and 2017 (IAM Patent 1000)
- Recognised for intellectual property, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Asialaw Leading Lawyers)
- Leading Lawyer, 2016 (ICFM Leading Lawyers 500)
- Recognised for patents, 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Asia IP Experts)
- Recognised among Top 100 Powerful Women in Law, 2017 (World Intellectual Property Forum)
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email