Archana Shanker, senior partner at Anand and Anand, heads the firm’s patent practice. A graduate of the Delhi University Faculty of Law, North Campus, she went on to complete her postgraduate diploma in bioinformatics and pharmaceutical regulatory affairs. She is an active contributing member of various international bodies, including the Asian Patent Attorneys Association, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property, Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys and Licensing Executives Society India.
Ms Shanker’s comprehensive repertoire enables her not only to represent clients in contentious matters in the pharmaceutical industry, but also to advise on protection and prosecution across a number of business sectors – including bioinformatics, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and chemicals – in India, the United States, Europe, Japan and other key jurisdictions.
Her unique and innovative approach has helped her clients win important claims of significant commercial value in the software, mechanics and electronics fields. She leads the firm’s efforts concerning the nascent legislation on geographical indications and plant varieties.
Ms Shanker handles complex patent litigation issues before judicial and quasi-judicial forums in India, such as the high courts and the Intellectual Property Appellate Board, and advises clients on patent strategies and regulatory affairs.
She is a regular speaker and panellist at various national and international forums. She also regularly publishes articles in various publications such as Managing Intellectual Property, Asia IP Magazine, IAM and Getting the Deal Through – Patents, as well as in various leading industry-focused journals.
- Spotlight for Life Sciences, India, 2017 (Chambers and Partners – Asia Pacific)
- IP Star (patents), 2017 (Managing Intellectual Property)
- IP Star (patents), Top 250 Women IP Professionals, 2016 (Managing Intellectual Property)
- Women in Business Law (patents), 2015 and 2016 (Expert Guides)
- Recognised for patents, 2015 and 2016 (Who’s Who Legal)
- Recommended Individual (prosecution), 2015 and 2016 (IAM Patent 1000)
- Recognised for intellectual property, 2015 and 2016 (Asialaw Leading Lawyers)
- Leading Lawyer, 2016 (ICFM Leading Lawyers 500)
- Recognised for patents, 2015 and 2016 (Asia IP Experts)
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email