James DeGraw is a corporate technology partner who works with clients to anticipate and handle the legal issues that ever-changing technologies present. He regularly leads transactions for which technology or IP assets are key drivers, provides clients with strategic advice on protecting and maximising their investments in technology, and advises clients on handling and securing the data that their businesses collect and process.
Mr DeGraw brings to any representation his computer science background and his experience of having spent years working for firm clients on technology matters while based in Asia.
In addition to technology-focused mergers and acquisitions, Mr DeGraw’s transactional work includes working with clients to structure complicated and strategic technology relationships, including cross-border joint ventures, complex business licensing transactions and strategic business process outsourcing relationships. His experience in dealing with international technology, IP and data issues helps clients to structure these transactions for success.
Mr DeGraw provides strategic advice to clients on handling and protecting their businesses’ data, technology and IP assets. This includes:
- helping clients to develop and protect businesses built on data, technology and IP assets, whether through targeted marketing campaigns by consumer product companies or portfolio licensing programmes by academic research centres;
- navigating myriad IP issues to put together comprehensive protection strategies; and
- advising clients on the collection, handling and protection of data, and navigation of the opportunities and concerns raised by changes to data privacy and security laws and the growth of social media.
Mr DeGraw also has significant litigation experience, which includes coordinating client responses to US government investigations, leading alternative dispute resolution proceedings and handling complicated patent litigation matters, such as Affymetrix v Incyte, Data General v IBM and State Street v Signature.
Mr DeGraw is a founding member and former managing partner of the firm’s first international office in Tokyo.
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email