Licks Attorneys is a Brazilian law firm with offices in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre and Tokyo. We offer a comprehensive range of legal services relating to technology and fact patterns development, deployment and use, including complex litigation, strategic counselling, policy making, IP prosecution and regulatory services.
Licks Attorneys has a motivated and multi-lingual team, with the background and capabilities to advise companies of all sizes across the world. We have a number of foreign-trained attorneys and partners – some of whom have more than 20 years’ experience in foreign affairs. We have been growing steadily and have expanded into new practice areas. Licks Attorneys invests heavily in technical and human resources to provide a unique blend of technical and legal expertise, which competitors are unable to match. We aim to have the broadest licensing and litigation teams, and can offer the complete range of services involving the acquisition, enforcement and licensing of IP rights in Brazil.
Our client portfolio includes Fortune 100 companies as well as several multinationals. We represent the highest number of clients in cases against the Brazilian Food and Drugs Administration (ANVISA), working mainly for the international pharmaceutical industry. As a team, we are also proud of our contribution to Brazilian IP laws. With dedication and hard work, we are able to present challenges that make significant changes to the interpretation of such laws – changes that, while helping one client at a certain time, generate positive consequences for countless others.
In addition, Licks Attorneys:
- is the largest food and drug law litigation practice in Brazil;
- was the first firm to file a lawsuit against ANVISA, in the same year the agency was established;
- is the largest medical device patent litigation practice in Brazil;
- is the only firm to have invalidated Partnership for Productive Development Programme (PDP) projects before courts;
- is the only firm that signs PDP projects on behalf of clients;
- is the largest 229-C patent litigation practice in Brazil to have a 100% success rate;
- is the largest telecoms patent litigation practice in Brazil;
- handled the first litigation in Brazil under the Marco Civil Internet Law;
- has leading litigation teams specialised in mobile applications;
- has handled some of the most important internet applications lawsuits in recent years in Brazil;
- has extensive experience negotiating on behalf of IT clients in state and federal prosecutor office investigations; and
- has a patent litigation practice with a top rate of injunctions granted in infringement cases and an outstanding track record in asserting and invalidating patents.
Our litigation and prosecution team can provide clients with the full range of services, including in relation to:
- licensing and technology transfer;
- unfair competition;
- trademarks, trade dress and publicity rights;
- plant varieties;
- internet rights, e-commerce and software;
- antitrust and competition law;
- government contracts and tenders;
- food and drug law; and
- litigation and dispute resolution.
- ANVISA – we filed the first lawsuit against ANVISA’s discretionary decision regarding prior approval of a pharmaceutical patent application owned by a worldwide pharmaceutical company. The firm obtained the first favourable decision in which ANVISA was ordered to grant prior approval. The firm currently represents other clients against ANVISA. We are the only firm with a 100% success rate in such matters.
- Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office (BRPTO) – we filed the first lawsuit against the BRPTO’s rejection of a patent application based on an earlier Patent Cooperation Treaty patent designated in Brazil. We are the only law firm in Brazil to obtain favourable results in such matters.
- Patent validity and infringement – we are representing a Swedish mobile company in the largest patent validity and infringement cases in Brazil, before both federal and state courts, relating to caller-ID technologies.
According to market surveys, Licks Attorneys is top ranked among its peers as a highly recommended law firm.
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email