If you want a traditional solution to a common problem, there are many lawyers who can help you. If you want a creative solution to a complex problem, contact Gilbert’s LLP.
Gilbert’s is built to fit the legal and business needs of innovation-driven organisations. The firm’s practice encompasses litigation, patents, trademarks and branding, government relations and IP disputes across borders. Our lawyers, patent agents and staff work in a tightly integrated, multi-talented and principled manner to enable clients to overcome complex and unconventional challenges with creative solutions.
Gilbert’s sweet spot is intellectual property and advocacy. The firm focuses on key industries such as pharmaceuticals, software, technology, energy, clean-tech, gaming and media and entertainment.
Gilbert’s professionals have advanced science degrees, a range of educational and specific sector-based work experience and hands-on knowledge of the issues encountered by their clients.
Where managing the costs of legal services is a potential barrier, Gilbert’s offers an innovative contingency fee option in which the firm has ‘skin in the game’.
Gilbert’s is at home in the courtroom and the boardroom. The firm has represented and continues to represent some of the largest pharmaceutical and tech companies in bet-the-company litigation. The firm is known for managing international legal disputes, as well as for litigating Canadian cases.
In the hotly contested pharmaceutical industry, the firm acts for both brand and generic manufacturers. In the emerging area of biosimilars, its familiarity with both sides of the industry is a key asset.
Gilbert’s is one of the few IP boutiques with a robust patent prosecution and litigation focus. The insights obtained from both litigation and prosecution are brought to bear on clients’ issues to yield unique approaches in a cross-disciplinary setting.
Gilbert’s acts for many major industry players, as well as individuals, in protecting valuable artistic and software assets. Vik Tenekjian leads the firm’s enforcement efforts.
Gilbert’s helps clients in protecting key brand assets such as trademarks.
- Tim Gilbert – an IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is the founder and managing partner of Gilbert’s.
- Matthew Powell – an IAM Strategy 300 listed individual and IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is a partner at Gilbert’s, a registered patent agent and a licensed professional engineer. Mr Powell leads the firm’s patent prosecution practice.
- Omar Nassif – an IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is a partner at Gilbert’s and a registered patent agent. Mr Nassif has significant experience strategising and coordinating international patent portfolios, drafting freedom-to-operate and validity opinions, supporting negotiation and drafting of IP licences, and offering invaluable advice in patent litigation matters. Mr Nassif is head of the life sciences group.
- Matt Diskin – a partner at Gilbert’s and an entertainment, commercial and IP lawyer. Mr Diskin is known for his keen strategic litigation instincts and for offering advice on IP disputes, particularly in the software and entertainment industries. An experienced trial lawyer, he also teaches trial advocacy at the University of Toronto Law School.
- Andrew Moeser – a partner at Gilbert’s and a patent litigator with experience in the life sciences, IT, gaming and oil and gas industries. Possessing a master’s degree in biology and having worked as a coordinator of a Phase III clinical trial, Mr Moeser brings a practical understanding to the issues facing biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
- Nisha Anand – a partner at Gilbert’s and a patent litigator with a doctorate in molecular biology, genetics and cancer. Ms Anand has particular expertise and a keen interest in the area of biologic drugs. Ms Anand has extensive knowledge and experience relating to complex, cross-border pharmaceutical patent disputes, as well as regulatory aspects of the pharmaceutical industry. She also has patent litigation experience in other industry sectors, including information technology and oil and gas.
- Zarya Cynader – a partner at Gilbert’s who is licensed to practise law in Ontario and New York. Ms Cynader’s practice extends to all areas of intellectual property, including copyright, trademarks, industrial design, trade secret law and patents. She has experience coordinating complex pharmaceutical and IT patent litigation.
Toronto Dominion Centre
77 King Street West
Toronto ON M5K 1K2
Tim Gilbert, Managing partner
Matthew Powell, Partner
Omar Nassif, Partner
Recommended individuals at this firm
Other recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email