The 2014 inductees into the IP Hall of Fame are revealed 27 Mar 14
Following a nomination process that began back in January, today we can officially announce the five individuals who have been selected by the IP Hall of Fame Academy as this year’s inductees into the IP Hall of Fame. They are:
- Daniel Bereskin: Leading Canadian trademark lawyer and founding partner of Bereskin & Parr and recognised as a global authority on trademark law. He is a past recipient of the INTA President's Award for his long-standing service to the organisation.
- Thierry Sueur: Vice president of intellectual property at Air Liquide. He is also chairman of the IP committee of French business federation MEDEF and chairman of the Patent Working Committee of Business Europe.
- Heinz Goddar: Partner at German firm Boehmert & Boehmert and a highly-respected expert in patent law generally and technology transfer in particular. He is also a prominent teacher of IP at universities around the world and a past president of LES International.
- Gary Griswold: Former head of 3M’s global IP operations and a past president of both the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the Intellectual Property Owners Association.
- Mark Lemley: Author and professor of law at Stanford Law. One of the most widely cited sources of patent and anti-trust legal expertise in the US, and an influential commentator on patent reform.
Reacting to the news, this year’s inductees had the following to say:
“Isaac Newton, one of the most influential scientists in history, humbly observed: ‘If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants’. Likewise, we IP practitioners benefit immensely from the knowledge, wisdom and experience of others, such as the distinguished members of the IP Hall of Fame, of whom I feel deeply honoured now to be a small part.” - Daniel Bereskin
“I strongly believe that Intellectual Property has been, is and will be a major tool for the development of our economy, for progress and welfare of people. I am deeply honored to be inducted to the IP Hall of Fame, among those who, as judges, heads of national or international IP offices, professors, consultants, heads of company IP Departments and Attorneys, have been instrumental in shaping the IP system”. – Thierry Sueur
“I feel very honoured indeed that I have been selected into the IP Hall of Fame Academy. I know that this would have been impossible without a support of many of my friends in the worldwide intellectual property world, which is kind of a ‘second home’ to me, and I would like to express my sincere thanks to all of them. As for my interest and career in IP, I feel particularly close to the ‘friendly side’ of intellectual property rights, particularly patents, which consists in using such IPRs as instruments for technology transfer, i.e. sharing knowledge, by licensing and other forms of interactions, with other parties/persons.” - Heinz Goddar
“I am elated and honoured to be selected as an inductee yet humbled to be listed with the major IP contributors who are inductees into the IP Hall of Fame. I wish to thank the Academy for my selection and the individuals and organizations who were instrumental in any contributions to the IP system which formed the basis for my selection.” - Gary Griswold
“I am incredibly honoured to join this very august group.” - Mark Lemley
Earlier this year members of the global IP community were invited to nominate individuals who they felt had “made an outstanding contribution to the development of intellectual property law and practice”, and to supply supporting paragraphs giving their reasons. All valid nominations were sent to the 55 members of the IP Hall of Fame Academy, each of whom had up to five votes. The five individuals receiving the most votes were inducted.
Established in 2006, the IP Hall of Fame seeks to identify and honour those who have helped to establish intellectual property as one of the key business assets of the 21st century. The aim is not only to acknowledge the vital role played by these innovators in fostering today's vibrant IP environment and in ensuring its continued health, but also to show how central IP is to the global economy and to the well-being of people across the world. The full list of previous inductees can be found here.
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email